The Top 10 Essential Oils for Stress Relief & How to Use Them (Includes DIY Recipes)
Spring is just a few days away and as lovely as spring is, it often comes with stress. There’s tax season, you’re battling spring allergies, there’s the spring cleaning checklists you need to keep up with, and more.
Unfortunately stress can zap your energy and immune system which is why it is vital to control stress whenever possible. One of the ways to do that is with essential oils. Essential oils are all natural and can promote a balancing and calming effect on your emotions. And that’s a good thing. Here are the best essential oils to use plus some DIY recipes that you can easily make from home. Why not make a little extra for your besties too!
Benefits of The Top 10 Essential Oils for Stress Relief
- Patchouli: A natural anti-depressant and sedative. Stimulates the release of serotonin, lifting the mood and easing fears and anxieties.
- Frankincense: Provides a calming and tranquil energy which helps deepen meditation and quiet the mind.
- Roman Chamomile: A peaceful, calming scent, chamomile benefits inner harmony and decreases irritability, overthinking, anxiety and worry. Acts as a mild sedative.
- Cedarwood: Eases nervous tension and stress-related disorders and can be used as a sedative, promotion of restful and restorative sleep.
- Lavender: Promotes relaxation and calm. Helps with exhaustion, restlessness, inner peace, sleep, restlessness, irritability, panic attacks, nervous stomach and general nervous tension.
- Ylang Ylang: Lowers blood pressure and bolsters the nervous system, reducing stress on the nerves which can help with insomnia. It helps with cheerfulness, courage, optimism and soothes fearfulness.
- Wild Orange: The strong, sweet, citrus aroma of Wild Orange can help bring peace and tranquility, quieting anxious nerves and easing the symptoms associated with a blue mood.
- Rose: Rose essential oil is very settling to the emotional heart and perhaps the second most popular after lavender for relieving anxiety and depression, helping with panic attacks, grieving and shock.
- Magnolia: Relaxes the mind and body, creates a calm and serene atmosphere, and uplifts when feeling down and grounding when anxious
- Sweet Marjoram: Can help encourage relaxation, especially before sleep. Helps promote a calm atmosphere, and brings comfort during times of great distress or emotional grief.
Here are 4 ways you can use the some of the above mentioned oils in your daily routine to beat stress:
1. Diffuser (often requires water for the machine)
This is the most convenient way to reap the benefits of essential oils. You can fill any room in your home or even your office with your favorite scent using a diffuser.
DIY Stress Reliever Essential Oil Diffuser Blend
- 3 drops Bergamot
- 2 drops Frankincense
- 2 drops Lavender
Many people prefer topical uses of essential oils. You can add a few drops with a carrier oil (coconut oi, jojoba oil, avocado oil, olive oil, sweet almond oil) and massage it on the skin, hair, teeth, nails or mucous membranes of the body. When the oils touch the skin, they penetrate rapidly.
Easy DIY Lavender Neck Rub
- 3 drops pure lavender oil
- 1 teaspoon Pure Fiji Exotic Bath and Body Oil
- Blend the lavender oil and coconut oil in your palm.
- Smoothly rub onto your neck for natural anxiety relief.
- You can also rub onto the bottom of your feet.
- Ideal for when you’re feeling stressed or just before bed.
Aromatherapy can be achieved by using it in a bath, as direct inhalations, hot water vapor, vaporizer or humidifier, sprays, fan, vent, perfume, cologne, or through aromatherapy diffusers.
DIY Lavender & Chamomile Bubble Bath
- 1/2 cup light almond oil
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup liquid Castile soap
- 1/2 teaspoon chamomile essential oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lavender essential oil
- Using a jar or bottle with an airtight lid, combine the almond oil, egg white and honey.
- Blend well.
- Add the Castile soap and the essential oils.
- Mix all ingredients well by placing the lid on the jar and giving it a really good shake or by stirring with a spoon or fork.
- Store remaining bubble bath in the refrigerator.
4. Oral Application
Surprisingly many essential oils can be ingested by the mouth but your need to be very careful. Essential oils are powerful, plant-based medicine and should be treated with caution and respect, especially for internal use. You want to make sure that the oils you use are safe and pure. Many oils on the market may be diluted or blended with synthetics that are unsafe for ingesting. Always consult with an expert before using essential oils orally.
DIY Wild Orange and Lime Smoothie
Wild Orange will add an amazing citrus zing and will also aid in promoting digestive health as well.
- 3 drops Wild Orange essential oil
- 2 drops Lime essential oil
- 1 c. frozen strawberries
- ½ c. frozen peaches
- ½ c. frozen mango
- 1 ½ c. pineapple juice
Add all ingredients to blender and blend until texture is just right for you! Relax and savor this delightful treat!
There’s no doubt that essential oils are amazing because the benefits range from clearing skin to healing damaged hair, and of course one of the major benefits… helping with is anxiety. If you live with chronic stress, commit to practicing self-care rituals using Pure Fiji’s collection of bath and body products. If above all fails consider seeking help from a health professional to help lessen your worries and unwind your mind.
Posted: Sun, Mar 15th, 2020