Natural Skin Care Tips and Routines in your 50s
Any person who’s celebrated the big Five O has definitely had her fair share of experience with skin care and products and her skin care drawer reflects that. The saying “been there done that” comes to mind. When you turn 50 you’ll start noticing thinner skin and sagging, bone loss around the jaw can lead to jowls; fat loss can create a sunken look, lines and wrinkles deepen, and hyperpigmentation increases. You may also notice that your skin is dry and flaky too. While that may not sound beautiful, embrace it. You see for some being beautiful means joy and incorporating a daily self-care routine. It’s about loving oneself. And for some it’s about being natural and authentic. No matter how you define being beauty-full here are smart ways to care for your skin in your 50’s.
What ingredients are great for the 50s skin?
Hydrating agents: Look for ingredients like Ngi grass which grows in Fiji. It replenishes skin cell hydration while stimulating and increasing the cells capacity to maintain essential levels of hydration for 24 hours. As time goes by, skin becomes thinner, the face starts to crease and look aged, because it retains less water; collagen and elastin content decreases. With continuous water replenishment throughout the day, skin is smooth, healthy-looking, and “moisture-even”. You can find Ngi grass in Pure Fiji’s hydrating day crème, perfecting day crème, and serum.
Deep-sea antioxidants: A deep-sea anti-oxidant helps prevent DNA oxidation and photo-ageing that occurs whenever skin is exposed to sunlight. Ordinary, everyday doses of sunlight, pollution and lifestyle factors inevitably stimulate oxidation within skin cells, leading to free-radical damage and degradation of the skin’s defenses. One of the world’s most potent anti-oxidants is a deep sea extract that stops harmful oxidizers in their tracks. Here are Pure Fiji’s natural skin care products that contain deep-sea antioxidants; hydrating day crème, perfecting day crème, and firming day crème.
Absorb oxygen: Oxygen is essential to life, and is essential to the good health of our skin because of its crucial role in each cells production of energy. Unfortunately, the energy production of each cell is naturally and inevitably inefficient. It is this inefficiency that leads to oxidative damage, the presence of free radicals and the degradation of the skin membranes – this in turn “stresses” the skin and ages it prematurely. Introducing hydrolyzed soy protein! This active ingredient is a plant derived protein that not only encourages the skin to absorb oxygen and make it more receptive to oxygen but more importantly it also increases the efficiency of the cells respiration process, decreasing damage and stress due to oxidative damage and therefore allowing the skin to “relax”.
What habits and skin care products are a big no-no for the 50s skin?
- Avoid harsh exfoliants and gritty masks because they strip too much oil from the skin and make dryness worse.
- Avoid lotions that contain alcohol which dries out the skin. Instead, opt for creams that moisturize featuring higher oil content.
- Avoid excess unprotected sun exposure. This is still important in someone’s 50s! Damage is cumulative, so it’s still important to protect the skin from UV rays.
- Shield yourself from excess wind or cold exposure. Both elements dry out the skin and can cause redness and irritation more easily.
50s Morning Natural Skin Care Routine
- Cleansing with a gentle cleanser, like Pure Fiji’s Purifying Cleanser. This unique cleanser is boosted with papaya extracts to brighten skin tone while passionflower, hydrolyzed soy protein, and drift nut extracts restore skin to a healthy balance.
- Apply a hydrating serum like Pure Fiji’s Hydrating Multi-Active Serum. Pure dilo leaf and beach almond leaf hydrosol in combination with powerful plant actives, essential nutrients and vitamins naturally supercharge this serum in order to boost hydration and cellular water flow which actively firm, smooth and rejuvenate the skin. Clinical studies show that 3 hours after application, a 21% reduction in wrinkles occurs.
- Next, apply Pure Fiji’s Firming Day Creme. A botanical blend of Beach Almond and Totaro hydrosols in conjunction with powerful peptides stimulate elastin synthesis to help tighten, smooth and lift the appearance of the skin - improving firmness and elasticity. An immediate and durable tightening effect is visible with a significant decrease in wrinkle volume. The skin is lifted and smoothed resulting in a more youthful appearance. Apply from the neck upwards.
50s Evening Natural Skin Care Routine
- Cleanse with the same morning cleanser, or Pure Fiji’s Exfoliating Scrub to peel away dead skin cells and brighten skin.
- Next, apply Pure Fiji’s Balancing Toner. A refreshing toner with passionflower and witch hazel extracts to restore balance. Enriched with green coconut water to remineralize, nourish and energize cellular exchange, leaving skin refreshed and revitalized.
- If pigmentation is a problem add in a quality exotic oil like Pure Fiji’s Dilo Oil. It’s excellent for scars and acne. It also has skin lightening properties so it’s helpful for reducing hyperpigmentation! It softens skin and prevents wrinkles while evening out hyperpigmentation! How cool is that?!
- Next, finish off with Pure Fiji’s Anti-wrinkle Eye Creme and Hydrating Multi Active Night Creme. Don’t forget the neck!
In your 50s continue to make wise lifestyle choices. That is more important than genetics in influencing the rate at which you age. Not smoking, avoiding excess sun exposure, and managing stress can have a major impact as well. Being in your 50s is a beautiful time. Embrace it.
Posted: Sat, Jun 15th, 2019