5 Simple Tips for Healthier Hair
Like our skin, our hair is subject to damage on a daily basis due to heat styling, UV rays and product buildup just to name a few. Read on to discover 5 easy ways to get stronger, healthier hair.
Healthy hair ultimately begins in the shower, since how you shampoo and condition your hair can go a long way toward maintaining smooth, shiny locks.
- If your scalp tends to be oilier you will need to wash your hair at least once a day to remove any excess oily buildup.
- If you have chemically treated hair, your hair will often be dry and will need to be washed less often. Cleansing too often can strip hair of the natural oils that keep it healthy, which can make hair more brittle and prone to breaking.
- When shampooing your hair, be sure to concentrate primarily on your scalp, as focusing more on your strands will leave them dry and dull.
- When using your conditioner, be sure to concentrate more on the tips of your hair than on your scalp. Conditioners can make fine hair appear limp so it should be used sparingly and only on the driest parts of your hair.
What you wash your hair with is just as important as how you wash it. Many shampoos and conditioners contain chemicals that can be harmful and drying to your hair.
- Sulfates are one such chemical that can be found in many shampoos and conditioners currently on the market. Sulfates strip your hair of essential oils and can lead to irritation of the scalp.
- Parabens are another chemical commonly found in shampoos and conditioners. Parabens can be dangerous as there has been speculation they are linked to certain types of cancer.
- Ultimately, when shopping for shampoos and conditioners, look for ones that are made with natural ingredients, like those from Pure Fiji. Their coconut milk shampoo contains natural coconut cleansers that remove build-up effortlessly, while natural extracts like coconut oil restore bounce and shine. The coconut crème conditioner is fortified with soy and wheat proteins that help repair damage and improve resilience. The result is hair that looks and feels healthy.
- Both Pure Fiji’s shampoo and conditioner are free of parabens and sulfates, thus making them an excellent choice for your natural beauty routine.
Even if you condition your hair after every shampoo, it is still important to use a deep conditioning mask at least once every week to two weeks. Deep conditioning is a great way to bring moisture back into your hair, strengthen elasticity and help with the overall health of your hair and scalp. It also provides your hair with much needed nutrients and can help prevent dryness and breakage.
Styling your hair can be just as damaging as washing incorrectly.
- Heat styling is particularly damaging and drying to your hair. If you do have to use heat to style your hair, make sure you are using a heat protecting spray or serum beforehand.
- It’s also important to use styling products that bring the health and vitality back to your hair, rather than those that strip your hair of its moisture and shine.
- Pure Fiji carries an exotic bath and body oil that moisturizes, nourishes and protects your hair. Regular use of this blend of coconut oil and exotic nut extracts on your hair can dramatically reduce protein loss and damage that occurs during styling and coloring. Use it as an overnight treatment to improve the overall health and vitality of your hair.
Healthier hair doesn’t just come from the products you use on the surface; it comes from what you put into your body too. Your hair cells are the first ones in your body to be affected if you aren’t getting the proper nutrients from your food.
- Protein and iron are two of the key nutrients needed to keep your hair healthy and beautiful. Eating protein rich foods can help to strengthen your hair. Make sure you are including complete proteins like cheese, milk and lentils.
- Iron rich foods like leafy vegetables, fish, pumpkin seeds, and soy are also an integral part of your diet. Make sure you are consuming at least 12 mg a day to help maintain your healthy hair and natural beauty.
Healthy, beautiful, strong locks don’t just happen on their own. By following the 5 simple tips above, you can ensure you’re on your way to having a great hair day - every day!
Posted: Thu, Mar 10th, 2016